Questions and Answers about the Parksville & District Chamber
Browse through our most frequently asked questions.
If you'd like to add a question, use the comments form at the bottom of this page.
Are there any commitees that may be of interest to me?
Chances are that there will be a committee that will interest you. There are organizing committees for our sponsored events such as Canada Day Celebrations and Gala Auction fundraiser, as well as Communications Committee, Marketing, Membership and Policy Committees. Other committees or task forces are formed whenever the need arises.
Can I host a Business After Business event?
Hosting a “Business After Business’ social function is an excellent way to promote your business! A Business After Business is a fun networking opportunity for members and an ideal marketing opportunity for the host business. Held on the third Thursday of the month (excluding July, August & December), these are very popular events and typically are booked a year in advance. To download the tip sheet, click HERE.
Can the Chamber of Commerce donate or help my not-for-profit raise funds?
As a non-profit organization, we, too, look for fundraising and sponsorship to support member driven initiatives and events. We wish you all of the best in your endeavours, but unfortunately, cannot provide financial support.
How can I market my business through the Chamber?
PROMOTE YOURSELF! (Who can do it better?)
- Set up a display table at one of our Chamber dinners. Do you have a new product, service or staff person to introduce to the business community of the Parksville area? Or perhaps it has been a while since you formally reminded the business community of the consistent quality of service and products available at your business? As a showcase table host at a Chamber of Commerce membership dinner you have the opportunity to fulfill either of these marketing strategies! A table is provided with covering and skirting - so all you need to bring is your promotional material, which can be elaborate or very simple. Hosting a business card draw is a good way to attract attendees to your display. During the meeting, you will have the opportunity to tell the membership about your business - a mini commercial! Being a showcase table host at a membership meeting has many benefits - and the investment is very affordable at only $25 ( + tax).
- Buy a sponsor button in our weekly eflash – only $25/week.
- Display your rack cards or business cards in our Chamber of Commerce office / Visitor Centre for hand-out to new residents, visitors and new business operators in our area – it’s free with your membership!
- Be a Table Sponsor at a meeting - Table Sponsorship allows you to display literature on the dinner tables (only one table sponsor per meeting), address the membership for 3-5 minutes and also includes a display table.
- Chamber Membership Meeting-- Investment: $100
- Joint Membership Meeting -- Investment: $250
- Enhance your website listing with up to four images (photos and/or company logo) at no extra charge.
- Submit newsworthy (not advertising) items for our weekly eflash.
- Attend Chamber of Commerce meetings and events and network, network, network!
How do I get involved with the Chamber activities?
There are many ways you can get involved with the Parksville & District Chamber of Commerce. You may just wish to take advantage of the networking, promotion and education opportunities, but for those wish wish to move behind that, there are other options:
Become a Director and join our Board
The Board of Directors determine policies and programs. We meet the first Thursday of the month at 7:30 a.m. These meetings operate under a specific agenda and are normally over within 1 hour. This is where you get the pulse of the organization and make the decisions that govern the Chamber. These decisions are then carried out by the Executive Director and his staff.
Serve on Committees and Task Forces.
Whether you are a Board member or not, as a member, you can volunteer to serve on any of the committees and task forces that are necessary for the delivery of our services. This is where you can bring your experience to our team. You may choose to Chair a committee or simply join a group of dedicated volunteers to contribute to projects. Some of these committees are set in advance, like the Glassies, the Fantasy Auction, the Golf Tournament and the Street Market. Other committees are established as needed for special projects.
Volunteer at the Visitor Centre.
Our Visitor Centre welcomes over 25,000 people each year. We supplement our regular staff with volunteers to assist these visitors. In this case, you receive Tourism BC training and become an accredited "Visitor Counsellor". Our Visitor Centre Manager will establish a schedule that will meet your availability. This is an exciting job where you can promote the area and help our visitors.
Do you have special skills?
Some of our members are artists, writers, photographers, musicians or are professionals from other fields. We welcome your input and are always happy to give you an opportunity to either showcase your talent or to help by applying your skills to our many undertakings.
I have some free time, can I volunteer for the Chamber?
Volunteers are always needed, in many different areas.
Of course, you could become a Director and sit on our Board, but, in addition, most of our sponsored events are spearheaded by a committee of volunteers who bring their specific experiences to the team.
The Visitor Centre also needs people to assist the 25,000+ tourists visiting us every year. These volunteers receive Tourism BC training, and, once they graduate, they can offer their time as Visitor Counsellors. Our Visitor Centre Manager, Patti, would be happy to provide more information.
What are benefits of Chamber membership?
We hear this question all the time from prospective Chamber members. Some of the top ways in which Parksville & District Chamber members tell us membership has benefited their business are the Group Insurance Plan, Advocacy, Networking and Promotional Activities and Exclusive Member Discounts.
Click HERE for more information about these opportunities.
What is a Chamber of Commerce?
Your Chamber of Commerce is a non‑profit organization comprised of businesses, professionals, residents and other community groups working together to ensure a healthy economic and socio‑economic base to benefit the entire community. Your Chamber of Commerce harnesses the tremendous potential of the private enterprise system and the community at large and enables its membership to accomplish collectively what no one person could do individually.
How does your Chamber work?
The policies and programs of the Chamber are determined by its Board of Directors, elected by the membership. They in turn, employ a paid Executive Director, whose basic responsibility is to organize and execute the chamber's programs and carry out its policies.
What does your Chamber do?
Your Chamber represents and promotes our City's economy, tourism initiatives, environmental, cultural and governmental concerns, and encourages business, residential and industrial investment, broadening the tax base and providing employment. To business prospects and newcomers, the Parksville & District Chamber of Commerce represents a viable force in seeking solutions to today's social and economic problems, as we are in touch with municipal, provincial and federal issues affecting the Parksville and District area.
Who finances the Chamber?
Your Chamber is a "Business" and it incurs costs of operation and expenses similar to any other type of business. Those expenses are apportioned among its members, individuals and firms, representing all types of business, industry and professional sectors. We have been fortunate to have received financial assistance from the City of Parksville and Destination BC in an effort to help us continue to provide our many services for the community. Your Chamber also hosts its annual Gala Auction fundraiser.
Why should you join the Chamber?
Your Chamber of Commerce is the sales force for our community and businesses, unceasingly promoting their products and services, and at the same time is their watchdog ‑ protecting their interests, particularly in the political arena. The united voice of the Parksville & District Chamber of Commerce has often proven effective and beneficial to businesses and the residents of our community. The benefit of belonging to the Chamber is full‑time representation and results.